The Aresan Clan is published four times a week (Tue, Wed, Fri, Sun). You can see what's been written so far collected here. All posts will be posted under the Aresan Clan label. For summaries of the events so far, visit here. See my previous serial Vampire Wares collected here.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grinding Coffee

When I returned from Europe after about nine months attempting to earn money teaching English as a second language I stayed briefly with a college friend of mine named Ridg. He was living with his girlfriend Cathy, a tall, Buxom aspiring opera singer, in Baltimore. One day, while Ridg was away at work Cathy and I were at the house, she had a hankering for coffee, but all they had were whole beans and no coffee grinder. I looked through their kitchen and came across a mortar and pestle used for crushing spices and decided that I could use that to grind coffee for Cathy. I set down with a handful of beans and then started pounding them into smaller and smaller bits. I probably spent over a half hour pounding those beans, which amounted to only about enough to make about two cups of coffee. Finally, after I could barely pound anymore, the beans were ground down as much I though they needed to be. They weren't as finely ground or as uniform as the ones one gets from a proper coffee grinder but I figured they'd work fine nonetheless. We made a cup from my hand-ground beans in her coffee machine, and I must say, though I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur, the coffee tasted awful. The problem was probably that the beans were just way too coarse. So things happen sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment