The Aresan Clan is published four times a week (Tue, Wed, Fri, Sun). You can see what's been written so far collected here. All posts will be posted under the Aresan Clan label. For summaries of the events so far, visit here. See my previous serial Vampire Wares collected here.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vampire Wares pt 12

Madalina had a way of imposing her will on others and pushing them to submit.  Her voice was commanding and she spoke with an authority that demanded to be heard, if not obeyed.  Such that, when she asked the vampire to listen to her, he became silent.

“I’ve been looking for you!” she boldly declared, “I want to become a vampire.”

There was a moment of silence before the vampire burst out in a haughty laugh.  “People do not ask to become vampires,” he said in a mocking, derisive tone, “This is not a church.  We do not baptize into our coven all comers.”

Madalina stood up and stepped forward from behind the tree.  “To whom do you permit membership, then?” Madalina asked.

“You don’t understand (witless toddler), because you are a fool who can’t see the whole world outside her trivial life,” the vampire said with disdain, “I didn’t ask to become a vampire.  I was infected. When I was a boy, my family was attacked.  I retaliated against a vampire and he infected me when I scratched him.  Because he infected me he was forced to take care of me.  If I infected you, I’d have to take care of you.  And I don’t want to take care of a daft urchin like you.”

“What do you want?” Madalina asked, unfazed.

“Bodies,” he said, “Living, breathing bodies.  Young bodies.  Like you.  That’s obviously why I’m out here?  Is it not obvious what this net is for?  Even you can’t be that idiotic?”

“What if I brought you bodies? Living bodies?” Madalina quickly replied, “Then would you let me in?”

The vampire looked like he was about to say “no,” but he didn’t.  He stopped himself, uncertain, his body swaying back and forth as if he both wanted to accept and reject the proposal.  “Who?” he finally asked, “And Why should that be better than just taking you now?”

Madalina coyly smiled and said, “Because you’re not going to take me.  You can’t catch me.  Not alive at least,” and then paused.  She then added with a sly look on her face,  “And you don’t want to infect me.  No, you won’t be able to get me without doing that.  I won’t let you.  So, here’s what we’re going to do: we’re going to meet again, somewhere near the monastery, where I live, and I’ll have someone in tow, someone young, just as you like.  And you’ll bring me into your ‘coven.’”

“I do not take orders from an upstart cretin little girl,” the vampire hissed derisively.

“Alright.  Then you decide where and when we’ll meet.”

He seethed, his chest rising and falling with rage and his teeth clenched as he finally admitted, “I will have to speak with my superiors.  Give me two days.  Meet me directly East of your monastery the night after next.  You needn’t bring your companion yet.  You’ll have your reply.  And if the answer is ‘no,’ I’ll be dragging you to my coven in this net while you beg for mercy.”  He picked up the net with the four weights on each corner that he had tried to capture her with.  “And if you don’t show up, I won’t give you a second chance,” he added, packing up the net in a bag.

He then walked to the tree near where Madalina was, to pick up the other bolas, watching her the whole time, making sure she didn’t move, and then quickly disappearing into the night.


<-- Go to Part 11         Go to Part 13 -->

You can see what's been written so far collected here.

No comments:

Post a Comment